Monday, March 1, 2010

TIME IS FLYING!


This is my last week of classes, spring break starts on Thursday and then I begin my internship! Wow!

Again, nothing but pure happiness coming from Dublin! I'm still wondering when the honeymoon stage is going to end...hopefully it won't!

I had another busy week and weekend in Dublin. Last week we had two field trips for my Contemporary Irish Society class. On wednesday evening we went into town to attend the premier of Christ Deliver Us at the famous Abbey Theatre in the city centre. It was fabulous, highly controversial, and very intense. The acting was incredible! and the theatre was packed. I urge you to check out the website for more information about the play and the Abbey Theatre. http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/event/788
The set was very simple, but the effects were outstanding. At one point, they had "rain" coming from the lights on stage, another time one of the main actors commits suicide and it was just so realistic, and at the end the lights actually fall to the ground when another actor jumps from a building to make a more dramatic crash.

On Thursday, instead of having class, we went into Dublin to visit the Dail Eireann, the Irish government! We were able to sit in and listen to a meeting of the Upper House conducted in Irish and English. It was very fun to listen to, some of the ministers got quite worked up, trying to argue their points, ect. We also sat in on a Senator meeting, and later in the day met Senator Joe O'Toole. He was intersting, and very curious about our American government and raved about Obama. They love them some Obama, but I mean who doesn't!!

This past weekend, many people from our program went to Amsterdam so the apartments felt very empty! Friday we had a very leisure day, sleeping and relaxing, finally! We went out on friday night into the city for our own small pub crawl. The first two pubs we went to had live music, which wasn't outstanding, but yet entertaining. I drank Smithwicks this weekend, and to my surprise, I'm beginning to really like beer. This of course, makes me a bit nervous, but I'm in Ireland so what else should I expect!

On Saturday 4 of us went into town to shop. Ali and Sydney wouldn't be surprised to hear that I tried on many things and didn't buy a single thing! That night we did another pub crawl, a few more than friday night but yet the same kind of thing.


Sunday 6 of us headed back to the outskirts of the city to Phoenix Park and the Dublin Zoo. It was so entertaining! Some parents laughed at us because we were more excited than many of the little children. We saw Guerillas, Lions, Tigers, Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Sealions, Flamingos, Hippos, Rhinos, Monkeys, Leopards...and so many more. It was a bit chilly out, but the weather didn't dampen our day!




No comments:

Post a Comment