Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hey 21, you crept up on me there!



(um, yes, this is what happened on my birthday! Origami!)The big 2-1 happened this week... needless to say I was very excited about turning 21 and celebrating in Ireland, but it seems like just yesterday that I was in high school dreaming of these days. I had a fantastic day, I had to go to work but the ladies brought me a delicious caterpillar chocolate cake which we enjoyed during our tea break, they then treated me to lunch, and after work I met a few friends for a couple pints around the city before returning home to be brought into a dark kitchen and surprised with another cake! The day came and went very quickly, just as my time in Ireland has. With celebrating a birthday and knowing that my time abroad is coming to an end, this past week was a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but a good one. I don't want to leave Ireland, I feel like it's too soon to leave, but yet, I'm really looking forward to my three weeks of travels. I'm also getting very excited to return to the states, visit my family and friends and have another Maine summer. In addition to all those feelings, I've been thinking a lot about being 21, a senior in college next year, and the "real life" just around the corner. Phew, lots of emotions come with that! Of course I don't let myself get lost in all that mumble-jumbo-I'm keeping in the present, going one day at a time!
It's amazing to think that I'm only in Dublin for less than a week before I head of on my European adventure! This past weekend I spent the warm days in Dublin-visiting the food market, Merrian Square, Grafton St

the Botanical Gardens

Glasnevin Cemetery (the burial cite of many famous and celebrated Irish figures i.e Daniel O'Connell)

and the Famine Statues

It was a busy weekend but well worth it. This week is also my last week at my placement with the National Women's Council. I'll be sad to leave the great ladies of the council, I'm so glad to have been able to meet and work with such determined women.
Friday we have a farewell lunch on Friday and then Elizabeth, Nick, Lauren and I are off to Budapest and from there Elizabeth and I are off to travel Croatia, Vienna, Italy and England!

1 comment:

  1. cute birthday picture! :) sounds like you're having a fabulous time. have SO much fun on your european adventures (and please take lots of pictures). i wouldn't worry too much about the "real world" - you can always do what i've been doing and just keep going to school ;).

    xoxo
    patricia

    ReplyDelete